Several BBC stars have spoken out to distance themselves from allegations that an unnamed presenter paid a teenager more than £35,000 for sexually explicit photos.
The Sun has not named the “well-known” figure facing the accusations, but said they are paid a six-figure salary and are currently off-air.
The claims have prompted frenzied speculation over the man’s identity on social media.
But legal experts, including former chief prosecutor Nazir Afzal, have warned the public that they face being sued if they make false accusations online.
He wrote on Twitter: “Bit of legal advice… If you name someone and get it wrong then they may sue you for defamation and you can say goodbye to everything you own. So don’t.”
The string of false claims have angered several high-profile BBC stars, prompting some to publicly speak out to clear their names.
The BBC Radio 5 Live presenter is among those speaking out and appears to have gone to the police after being wrongly named as the man online.
He posted a website screenshot on Twitter which said: “Thank you for contacting the Metropolitan Police Service to report your crime.”
Mr Campbell added: “I think it’s important to take a stand. There’s just too many of these people on social media. Thanks for your support friends.”
He also wrote: “please delete these or I will sue you” and “coming for you” in response to other Twitter users who appeared to falsely accuse him.
The former England football star and Match Of The Day presenter was another big name to hit out.
“Hate to disappoint the haters but it’s not me,” he tweeted.
The presenter also does not fit The Sun’s description of the unnamed star being paid a six-figure salary, based on the latest available figures.
A report released by the BBC last summer revealed he was on a higher wage of seven figures – of between £1,350,000 and £1,354,999.
The TV and radio host is another innocent man who has spoken out after being wrongly named.
The 34-year-old wrote on Twitter: “Not sure why my names floating about but re that story in the sun – that ain’t me babe.
“I’m currently filming a show in Italy for the bbc, so take my name out ya mouths.”
The BBC Radio 2 presenter also reacted with frustration to claims that he was the man involved in the claims.
The father-of-two said: “Just to say I’m very much looking forward to hosting my radio show on Monday – whoever the ‘BBC Presenter’ in the news is, I have the same message for you as Rylan did earlier: it certainly ain’t me.”
Vine also ‘liked’ a Tweet which said: “I find both Jeremy Vine and Rylan mildly irritating and I switch channels when they appear… However, there’s no way either of them deserves to be a target of such speculation.”
Several other presenters have also been falsely named on social media – but have so far decided not to issue public denials.
Dozens of BBC hosts are paid six-figure salaries or do not currently have shows on air, prompting concerns that many of them could have their reputations unfairly tarnished by being wrongly linked to the allegations.
BBC special correspondent Lucy Manning told the corporation’s News at Ten programme: “The BBC will need to answer… if it’s fair to other presenters unconnected to this that their names are now sort of in the headlines.”