Harry Kane – who had been linked with a move to Manchester City – has said he is “staying at Tottenham this summer” and is “100% focused on helping the team achieve success”.
The England captain had asked to leave the club this summer in search of silverware – but Spurs maintained he was not for sale, and City failed to put in a bid that tempted them to change their mind.
It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks. 👏⚽
— Harry Kane (@HKane) August 25, 2021
With less than a week of the summer transfer window remaining, Kane tweeted: “It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks.
“I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100 per cent focused on helping the team achieve success.”
The 28-year-old striker made his first appearance of the season against Wolves on Sunday – and was given a hero’s welcome by the fans.
Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo said: “Great news. Fantastic news.”
Speaking at a press conference ahead of Spurs’ Europa Conference League qualifying play-off tie against Pacos de Ferreira, he added: “I think since Harry joined us he has been working so this is what we value.
“His attitude in training has been excellent. It’s finished, Harry is going to be with us.
“He is an option for tomorrow. It is great news for everybody. We are all very happy. One of the best players in the world. Delighted to have one more option for the season ahead of us.”
Kane, Spurs’ second highest all-time scorer, is halfway through a six-year deal that he signed in 2018.
He believed he had an agreement with Daniel Levy, Tottenham’s chairman, that he would be sold this summer – but Spurs deny that ever existed.
Kane returned late for pre-season, but he said he was always scheduled to come back later than his Spurs’ team-mates after Euro 2020, where England lost to Italy in the final.