The suspect in Canada’s recent mass stabbing has been taken into custody, police have confirmed.
Ten people were killed and 18 injured after the attacks in and around an indigenous reserve in the central Saskatchewan province on Sunday.
Hundreds of police officers undertook an extensive manhunt for suspects, brothers Myles and Damien Sanderson, who had fled the crime scenes.
Damien was found dead in a grassy area of James Smith Cree Nation on Monday with injuries police said were not self-inflicted.
Myles Sanderson, who officers described as armed and dangerous, remained on the loose until Wednesday afternoon.
A police statement said: “Myles Sanderson was located and taken into police custody near Rosthern, Saskatchewan at approximately 3.30pm today.
“There is no longer a risk to public safety relating to this investigation.”
The stabbing rampage on Sunday was one of the deadliest attacks in Canada’s modern history.
Police said some of the victims appeared to have been deliberately targeted, while others were attacked at random.
Officers have not revealed a possible motive, but a statement from an indigenous group from the province suggested the stabbings could be drug-related.
Questions are beginning to be asked about why Myles Sanderson – with 59 convictions and a long history of violence – was out on the streets.
The 32-year-old was released by a parole board in February while serving a sentence of more than four years on charges that included assault and robbery. But he had been wanted by police since May, apparently for violating the terms of his release.