News

Welsh FA condemns online racist abuse of duo as police launch investigation


Police are investigating online racist abuse aimed at Wales duo Rabbi Matondo and Ben Cabango following the 1-0 victory over Mexico on Saturday.

Stoke loanee Matondo and Swansea defender Cabango both received vile messages on social media last night.

Matondo released an angry statement on Twitter

Getty

Matondo released an angry statement on Twitter

The Welsh Football Association has condemned those responsible and confirmed South Wales Police have already launched an investigation.

An FAW statement read:  “Racism and all forms of discriminatory behaviour are wholly unacceptable and the FAW condemns it completely.

“The FAW are in dialogue with South Wales Police to ensure this kind of abhorrent behaviour is reported and investigated.

“The FAW joins other national associations and clubs in urging social media platforms and regulatory authorities to take stronger, more effective and urgent action against this desperate behaviour.”

Meanwhile, Matondo has hit out at social media giant Instagram over a perceived lack of action to stop racial abuse on its platform.

He wrote on Twitter: “And it continues… another week of @instagram doing absolutely nothing about racial abuse.

“My insta will get taken down if I post any clips from my games though… #priorities”

The Wales pair join a growing list of black players who have been subjected to online abuse in recent weeks.

Manchester United quartet Anthony Martial, Axel Tuanzebe, Marcus Rashford and Fred have all been targeted, with the latter saying ‘we cannot feed that culture’ after being racially abused last weekend.

Cabango also suffered abuse online

Getty

Cabango also suffered abuse online

Arsenal’s former France forward Thierry Henry has described racism on social media as ‘too toxic to ignore’ and disabled all of his accounts on Saturday following the recent instances on the platform.

Earlier this month, the UK’s football policing lead Detective Chief Constable Mark Roberts said the response of social media companies in assisting the police to identify abusers has been ‘woeful’.

At the time a spokesperson for Facebook, which also owns Instagram, said the company ‘will continue to work with the police and wider industry to collectively tackle this issue’.





Source link